What To Do When A Death Occurs

If the person has died at home and the death was expected then you will need to call the persons normal doctor. They will confirm that death has occurred. You should then contact us on our 24 hour telephone number and we will arrange to come to your home and take your loved one into care at our private Chapel of Rest.

If the person has died at a hospital, you will be advised by the Bereavement Services Department at the hospital. You should contact us as soon as possible. The sooner we know, the easier it will be for you to receive important support.

Unexpected Or Sudden Death

If the death was unexpected and the person has not been seen by a doctor within the previous fourteen days, the death will be referred to the Coroner. The Coroner will then investigate the cause of death.

If the death is referred to the Coroner you should still contact us for support as you are still able to make provisional funeral arrangements before the Coroner has come to a decision.

Registration Of A Death

The death must be registered within 5 working days unless it has been referred to the Coroner. You will need to make an appointment with the Registrar for the area in which the death occurred. You may contact us for advice if you are unsure and we can give you the telephone numbers of the Registrar's offices in our area.

You will need to take the following documents to the Registrar with you:

  • The medical certificate of the cause of death (which you will get from your GP for a death at home or the hospital Bereavement Office if the death occurred in a hospital.
  • The deceased person's National Health Medical Card.
  • The deceased person's birth certificate and marriage certificate.

The details that the Registrar will need include:

  • Full name and address of the deceased
  • Home address
  • Date and place of death
  • Date and place of birth
  • Last occupation
  • Date of birth of survivng partner
  • Maiden name if deceased was a married woman
  • Whether deceased was in receipt of a pension or benefits from public funds

The Registrar will give you:

  • A green certificate - this must be given to the Funeral Director so that the funeral can take place
  • A white certificate - this is for DWP purposes (pension and/or benefits)

Some of the organisations that need to be informed of the death:

  • Banks and Building Societies
  • Social Services
  • Credit Card companies
  • Investments and Insurance companies
  • District Nurse
  • Utilities companies
  • Car insurance

Contact us

If you need any more help and advice please do not hesitate to contact us at Robert Minns Independent Funeral Directors.

For Close attention please call: 01603 261166

Copyright © 2018 Robert Minns Independent Funeral Directors

Website powered by BT